summer vacation 2015Sat 06 June 2015 — filed under potentiality Tweet
So we're looking at going on a vacation road trip this summer, an adventure made of diesel fuel, fried clams, Canadian currency, overnight ferries, and fresh oysters.
From Chicago to Pittsburgh to my own original hometown of New London (funnelcake! Mystic! that smell of my grandparents' attic I remember so distinctly from childhood visits!), then on to Portland, Maine.
From there, an overnight ferry (!) to the maritime provinces of Canada. We had originally hoped to get to Saint Pierre and Miquelon but with the time available and the sheer size and impossibility of crossing Newfoundland twice, it's going to have to wait for another trip. Instead, we'll take our time visiting some historic hotels and towns, including the UNESCO site of Lunenberg.
Home again is a bit of a cross-country haul, but access to Tim Horton's makes any road trip 15% more tolerable.
Looks like the reading list will be:
- Robertson Davies. Fifth Business (1970)
- Alistair MacLeod. Island: The Complete Stories (2011)
- Hugh Maclennan. Two Solitudes (1945)
- Margaret Atwood. ed. The New Oxford Book of Canadian Short Stories (1995)
- Bruce Hutchison. The Unknown Country: Canada and Her People (1942)
- Donald Creighton. Canada's First Century (1970)